top of page
A row of semi-detached houses with

The Party Wall Act 1996

What does this mean?

Where a building owner wishes to carry out work that falls within one of the three areas, it is necessary to serve notice on the adjoining owner. Works carried out where a Party Wall Award may be required include: building a new wall, removing a chimney from a party wall, or making changes to the original party wall (for example, making it taller or deeper). If consent is not given, it is deemed that a dispute has arisen which, due to the Party Wall Act, there is a provision made for a surveyor  to be appointed to resolve the dispute by way of an award.  
A brick wall with a sign saying 'Party Wall'
The front of a large house with bits of the front lawn and car in the bottom

What does The Party Wall Act cover?

The Party Wall Act covers the following: Building on line of a junction; Repairs of a Party Wall; Adjacent excavation and construction within 3 or 6 metres.

What services do you offer? 


Services we offer in Colchester and Cambridge are: preparation and service of notice; Party Wall surveyor in accordance with section 10 of the Act (resolve dispute); Schedule of Condition; Determination of the Award.  

Downloadable Document


Further details can be obtained here in the Party Wall Act 1996 Explanatory Booklet

Contact us today for a free same day quotation 

Name *

Email *

Subject *

Phone No. *

Postcode *



Thanks! Message sent.

bottom of page